There are several good reasons to invest in a dash cam. Most people use them for safety reasons, to have evidence in case of an accident and to prevent insurance scams.
You can also use a dash cam to record footage from your road trip and capture rare events like the 2013 Chelyabinsk meteor.
With so many seemingly great dash cams on the market, it can be very difficult to find the right model for your needs.
To help you make an informed decision, we will review and compare the main features of the five best 2-channel dash cam models currently available.
Best Dual Dash Cam Reviews
1. Z-Edge S4 Dual Dash Cam
The Z-Edge S4 is one of our top picks for the best 2-channel dash cam out there. An upgrade to the previous model from Zero Edge Technology, the S3, this dual dash cam’s excellent features have earned it great reviews and helped it become one of the most popular models on the market.
Both the front and the rear camera on this excellent 4-inch model have an ultra-wide recording angle of 150 degrees. The front camera records in 1440p Ultra-HD and the rear camera in standard 1080p HD, both at 30 fps. If you disconnect the rear camera, you’ll also be able to take stunning 12Mpx photos with the front camera while on the road.
The WDR technology based on Sony’s super-sensitive image sensor ensures that the video quality remains excellent at night as well as in direct sunlight. This model comes with a 19.6-foot USB cable for the power supply but it also has a built-in 600mAh lithium-ion battery. Because of this, the camera can keep recording for about 30 minutes without a power input.
With the automatic safeguard feature, the camera detects the vehicle ignition and turns on and off accordingly. This allows you to save power while the car is parked in your garage or some other place. Of course, if you need it, there’s also a feature that enables 24/7 surveillance of your parked vehicle. You can also choose between three- and five-minute loop recording intervals.
The S4 supports Trans-Flash and micro SD cards of up to 128 GB, which translates into just under six hours of 1080p HD footage. Unlike many other models, you can use this one right out of the box. Not only does it include two easy-to-install adhesive mounts, it also comes with a 32GB Kingston SD memory card.
- YOUR EXPERT WITNESS: Best-in-class dual lens dash camera with simultaneous recording front and rear in Full HD - stunning 4.0-inch IPS display screen with PiP display - sticks directly to your windshield for optimal field-of-view and super easy installation - fully adjustable tilt up and down - quick release front camera mount - replacement 3M adhesive mount included in-pack
- DUAL SUPER HD RECORDING: Never miss a license plate in Full HD 1920x1080P at 30FPS - front and rear ultrawide 150-degree viewing angle captures more of the road around you - built-in 600mAh battery enables 30mins recording without power input - record in stunning Wide Quad HD 2560x1440P at 30FPS with rear camera disconnected - take photos in 12-Megapixels
- 1ST CLASS NIGHT VISION: Highly sensitive SONY image sensor guarantees superior low light compensation for both rear and front - wide dynamic range (WDR) technology compensates for light/dark spots and balances exposure - six glass lenses reduce glare and deliver superior video quality you need whilst driving at night
- AUTOMATIC SAFEGUARDS: Records automatically with vehicle ignition - switches off automatically with ignition off - energy saving LCD screen off timer - loop recording feature for efficient storage management - manual and automatic video protection from deletion - built-in G-sensor/accelerometer triggers crash vibration recording - one button audio recording on/off - parking mode watchdog for 24/7 surveillance of your vehicle
- BUY FROM US: 32GB Kingston SD memory card inside every pack - supports TF/micro SD cards up to 128GB - 19.6-feet USB cable for easy routing inside your vehicle's interior - set and forget installation - reliable performance in extreme hot and cold conditions - dual port USB car adapter included - 30 days money back guarantee - 18 months warranty - lifetime support
2. VanTrue N2 Pro Uber Dual Dash Cam
The N2 Pro model from VanTrue is particularly popular among taxi drivers, which has earned it the nickname the “Uber” dash cam. This is another high-end model with excellent performance and advanced features.
This model has a front camera with a recording angle of 170 degrees and a rear camera with an angle of 140 degrees. In dual mode, the cameras record 1080p videos at 30 fps, but if you only use the front camera, you can capture 1440p videos at 30 fps and 1080p at 60 fps. This adds clarity to your recordings, ensuring that the camera will capture the license plates of any car behind or in front of you.
Unlike the non-pro version of the VanTrue N2, this model has four infrared LED lights around the rear camera that allow it to capture videos inside a dark passenger cabin. The N2 Pro also has a power-saving parking surveillance mode. When turned on, the built-in motion detectors will turn the recording on every time they detect movement in the close proximity of your car.
Another excellent feature is the emergency video lock that activates whenever the built-in sensors detect an impact. This way, the footage will be permanently stored in the event folder so it doesn’t get deleted due to the loop recording.
The only minor downside of this model is that it only allows you to extend the memory up to 64 GB. This means that it won’t be able to store more than three hours of footage at any given moment.
- 【Infrared Night Vision w/Sony Sensor】The interior facing camera utilizes a Sony IMX323 sensor, 4 IR LED lights and f/2.0 aperture, which can handle low light conditions and ensures flawless video footage even when the passenger cabin is dark. F/1.8 6-glass lens front facing cam and unique HDR video system automatically balance the light and dark areas of the video.
- 【Dual 1080P Dash Camera with Audio For Uber Lyft Taxi】Best dash cam to record car interior picked by Wirecutter. Based on powerful Novatek NT96660 CPU, Sony Exmor IMX323 sensor (inside car camera) and OV4689 (front car camera) image sensor, the dual 1080P dash cam simultaneously captures road front (170°) and inside cabin (140°) in crystal details at dual 1920x1080P 30fps. Or utilize the front cam only to record road front at 2560x1440P@30fps or 1920x1080P@60fps, capturing license plates clear.
- 【Parking Mode & Microphone & Auto LCD OFF】24 Hours Motion activated parking mode makes the dual car camera to automatically record once detects motion in front. Auto start and record when the ignition sparks up. Auto LCD OFF timer ensure you won't be disturbed by another glowing rectangle on your windshield. Ideal for most climates: -4° to 158°F (-20° to 70°C). Excellent audio recording with built in microphone. Time lapse function automatically takes photos at specified intervals.
- 【Looping Recording & G-Sensor】Seamless Loop Recording overwrites the oldest footage with the newest upon filling a card to capacity. Variable sensitivity G-sensor auto detects a sudden shake/collision and emergency locks the footage to "Event File" to prevent that video from an overwrite. Supports up to 256GB microSD cards, recommend to use samsung evo card. Optional GPS to track the driving route, location and speed(To use GPS function, please buy an extra gps mount Asin: B07CYW6JXW).
- 【Total Peace of Mind w/18m Warranty】Full 18m Warranty, email replies within 24H, and 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. Pay less auto insurance, your witness for accidents and insurance claims. Perfect dual lens dash cam for uber, taxis, rideshare, lyft drivers, commuters, and families. Works with 12V and 24V car, truck, semi truck, bus, suvs, or big rig.
3. Pruveeo MX2 Dash Cam
The MX2 from Pruveeo is one of our budget picks for the best 2-channel dash cam. Although it lacks many of the features of more high-end models, it still provides a lot of value for your money.
Only the MX2’s front camera can capture HD video, and only in 720p at 30 fps. The rear camera captures 480p SD video at 30 fps and the output format for both is AVI. Both cameras have a 120-degree shooting angle that provides a decent coverage considering the low price of this model.
For a budget-friendly model, the MX2 packs in a surprising number of advanced features. Like the more high-end picks reviewed here, the camera turns on automatically whenever you start the car and switches off when you stop it. It can also permanently store impact footage, but it does so when you press the “emergency lock” button rather than automatically.
The built-in 320mAh lithium-ion battery allows the dash cam to record for about 15 minutes without power input. You can expand the external storage up to 32 GB, which is on par with some of the other models on this list, especially considering the lower output resolution. The packaging comes with two adhesive mounts, one suction-cup mount and a USB charger.
- 320-degree rotating 120-degree viewing angle high-resolution wide-angle lens. 720P & 480P resolution at 30 fps with AVI format.
- Discreet Design. The camera mounts to the windshield, staying concealed from outside the car.
- Dash-cam works automatically. It starts recording when the engine is turned on and stops when it is turned off. Loop Interval Recording to micro SD Card. The seamless recording means no gaps between recorded files.
- Pruveeo is a professional dash-cam manufacturer. Established in 2000, it employs over 300 people. It provides OEM and ODM services for numerous famous brands around the world.
- Worry-Free Warranty: Pruveeo has total confidence in our products and backs them with a 12-month replacement warranty. Our Official Site: bit.ly/2qNbtEn
4. Crosstour CR300 Dash Cam
The CR300 is the most affordable dash cam on this list, but it can easily compete with the best models out there. This excellent dual dash cam has many features that you won’t be able to find in some more high-end models, let alone similarly priced ones.
This 3-inch model captures videos in 1080p HD and allows you to take sharp and vibrant 12Mpx photos when the rear camera is disconnected. Both cameras have an extra-wide recording angle of 170 degrees and utilize WDR technology for superior night vision.
Surprisingly for a model this affordable, the CR300 also has built-in G-sensors that allow it to automatically lock footage in case of a sudden shake or collision. This way if accidents happen, you’ll have the footage from the scene safely stored in your dash cam’s memory. In addition to this, this model also has motion detectors that turn the camera on whenever there’s any movement near your parked car.
This model from Crosstour has pretty much everything you could want in a dash cam including date and time stamps, loop recording and license plate stamps. There’s no GPS function, the lithium-polymer battery is for emergency backup only and the external memory can only go up to 32 GB. But at this price, these tiny shortcomings shouldn’t be deal-breakers.
- 3 INCH LARGE LCD SCREEN CAR RECORDER - Combined with 1080P Full HD and 12MP resolution, this dash cam can provide insurance claims to prevent disputes. Super large screen shows the realtime image, helps you clearly see every details when playing back and brings better visual experience.
- 170° WIDE-ANGLE 6G LENS CAR CAMERA - 170°wide angle lens allows a larger viewing angle to be recorded. For example, you will be able to see 4 lanes of traffic. The more you see, the safer you are. 6 glass fixed-focus provides better light transmission, thus recording crystal clear video.
- BUILT-IN G-SENSOR CAR DASH CAMERA - With built-in G-sensor, this dash cam can automatically detect a sudden shake/collision and lock the footage to prevent the video from being overwritten even in loop recording. Accident scene can be truly restored.
- BIG APERTURE AND WDR TECHNOLOGY - Combined with big aperture and wide dynamic range(WDR), you can get comparatively clearer footage and image at night. Car license plates can be easily seen in low light condition. The safety of driving at night will be improved a lot.
- 7 IMPORTANT FUNCTIONS AND EASY TO USE - Loop recording, motion detection, on/off audio, license plate stamp, time stamp, auto power off, screen saver, burst photo. All of these functions basically cover what you need for daily driving. Comes with 2 mount kits(suction cup and adhesive mount), easy to use.
5. YI Smart Dash Cam
The YI Smart dash cam is another inexpensive model that packs several advanced features you would normally only expect from much more expensive dual dash cameras.
Both the front and the rear camera record at a 165-degree angle, thus minimizing blind spots and allowing for a three-lane overview. But while the front camera can record in 1296p Ultra HD at 30 fps and 1080p full HD at both 30 fps and 60 fps, the rear only captures videos in 720p at 30 fps.
This 2.7-inch model also has a built-in Advanced Driver Assistance System (ADAS) that warns you about lane departures and detects the distance of the cars in front of you to prevent collisions. If a collision occurs, the sensors will activate the security lock feature and store the full recording safely on the memory card.
The external memory can store up to 64 GB of data. In addition to night vision and loop recording, the YI Smart dash cam also has built-in Wi-Fi support. This means that you can share your videos with just a few taps using the YI Smart app on your phone.
- The ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance Systems) - the most advanced and optimized visual recognition algorithms ensure safe driving by providing real time Lane Departure
- Emergency recording feature - Enabled by G-sensor technology, the camera automatically saves footage in the events leading up to a collision and immediately after
- High Definition Image and First-class Night vision - 1920x1080p 60fps high speed video recording captures fast moving scenes and creates high resolution images in high speed.
- Features 165 ultra wide-angle to reduce blind spots and obtain full 3 lane coverage. F1.8 apertures (the largest in the industry) and 3.0mx3.0m high sensitivity image sensors guarantee excellent night vision
- Built - in 2.7" TFT LCD widescreen and intuitive YI Dash Cam App - The interface features large buttons and user-friendly icons for quick recognition and intuitive operation
As you can see, there are plenty of great dual dash cams available on the market. Depending on your needs and your budget, any of our five picks could be a good choice.
If you’re looking for a top-quality dual dash cam, and if the price isn’t your main concern, the VanTrue N2 Pro Uber dash cam should be your go-to choice. This excellent model utilizes infrared lights to provide superior night vision. It offers all the advanced features you’d expect to find in a high-end model, including security lock, motion detection and time/date stamps. And even though it doesn’t have a built-in GPS support, GPS-ready windshield mounts are available separately.
All these features make the VanTrue N2 Pro Uber our top pick for the best 2-channel dash cam in 2018.
If you’re looking for a more budget-friendly option with similar features, check out the Crosstour CR300. The camera operates at the same angle as our top pick with a comparable 1080p full HD output resolution. It also has many of the same functions, including motion detection and emergency lock. Despite some minor shortcomings, the surprisingly low price makes it a very good choice.