At one time, the idea of a dash cam was little more than science fiction. Then, it became something that was commonly seen in police cars and other emergency vehicles. Today, most new vehicles come equipped with dash cams, and you can buy cameras to install in vehicles that are not equipped with them. But, do you really need a dash cam? Many people feel that since they have gone this long without one, they don’t really need a dash cam. However, you might be surprised to learn about all of the benefits of having one of these cameras in your car. So to answer your question, ‘’Do I need a dash cam’’, read on to find out.
Why would Safe Drivers Need Dash Cams?
It doesn’t matter how safe of a driver you are, there is always a chance that you could end up in an auto accident. Just because you are a safe driver, it doesn’t necessarily mean that other people on the road are going to be safe drivers as well. When this happens, wouldn’t it be nice to know that you have the entire accident captured on video? With this kind of evidence, it is a lot easier to see who is at fault, and then be able to make your insurance claim.
Another reason why it is a good idea for safe drivers to have dash cams is the fact that they are not always in their vehicles. Whether it is parked in the driveway or garage overnight, or in a parking lot while you are shopping, there are going to be plenty of times when no one is in your vehicle. But, your vehicle not being driven doesn’t mean that there is no risk of damage. It could get hit by a shopping cart in a mall parking lot, or someone could vandalize or break into it. Having a dash cam will ensure that you are able to find out what happened, and if necessary, report the offender and the offense to the police.
More Reasons why You Need a Dash Cam
There are actually several reasons why you should have a dash cam, besides having the evidence you need for reporting an accident. For instance, you are able to record all of the drivers around you. If you see careless or reckless drivers, you can record them and report them to the proper authorities later on. These drivers are a danger, both to themselves and to everyone else on the road. Don’t think of it as “ratting someone out.” Think of it as possibly saving a life someday. Other reasons to have a dash cam include:
- Teenage Drivers – If you are the parent of a teenager, you know how worrisome it can be when they take the car. Or maybe you have forbidden your teen to drive your car, but you think they are taking it without your permission. Having a dash cam is going to let you see where they are going and how carefully, or recklessly, they are driving.
- Insurance Fraud – It is amazing how much fraud goes on these days, particularly insurance fraud involving vehicles and traffic. Insurance fraud doesn’t just hurt the insurance companies. When they have to pay out, rates get raised, and everyone pays for someone else’s dishonesty. Some people will purposely cause accidents so they can file claims, or try to say that something has happened when it clearly hasn’t. Having a dash cam will give you the proof you need, and insurance fraud can be avoided.
- Record Road Trips – If you are into taking road trips, few things are going to capture as many memories as a dash cam. Sure, you can make stops along the way to take your own photos and videos, but with a dash cam, you are be able to record every little thing that is going on around you along the way. That way, all of your memories are going to be preserved forever, and you never know, you may see things on the video that you missed while you were driving.
- Parking Mishaps – All sorts of nasty things can happen in parking lots, and a lot of vehicles end up damaged. For instance, your parked vehicle could be hit by another driver, who then proceeds to leave the area without leaving their information or reporting the accident. Or, a shopping cart could hit your vehicle. Or, someone might vandalize or try to break into it. When you have a dash cam with parking mode, you will have video recordings of anything that happens.
- Animal Accidents – In many areas, it is not uncommon to run into a large animal, such as a deer or a moose at night. This can end up totaling a car, and cause serious injuries, or even death. Having a dash cam will not only record an animal accident, but also let you see if there is an animal about to get in your way by crossing the road, and you will be better able to avoid an accident.
- Security – If you have to park your vehicle in a poorly-lit area or an unsavory neighborhood, it is a really good idea to have a dash cam. This is not only for the safety of your vehicle, but for your own personal protection as well. If you should be attacked while trying to get into your vehicle, everything will be recorded so you can report the incident and the police will know exactly what the offender looks like.
As you can plainly see, dash cams are no longer just devices that benefit police officers and other first responders. Anyone who drives a car has the need for a dash cam. Not only do these cameras offer the many benefits that we have already listed, they also have numerous other features that can be helpful for drivers, including GPS navigation. Some will even show the speed limit, and let you know if you are going too fast. Once you have a dash cam, you will wonder how you ever got by without one.